Powered by Blogger.

E is For


So as you probably guessed, I've been a bit overwhelmed to keep up with my #ProjectAtoZ ... *It's a good thing there isn't a time limit on it*

Anyway, since i have been short on time, I've been looking for quicker ways to enjoy a crafty life which lead me to the next letter ...

E is for Easy Cakes

Have you ever heard about making cakes in the microwave? I hadn't and to be honest i was a bit sceptical. I don't even like to make scrambled egg in a microwave! But I'm a curious one when it comes to making things so rather than flat out say no way, i thought id give it a bash.


So to find recipes i went to my trusty Pinterest ... and i found loads! Some just sounded kinda iffy and some looked delicious (providing they turned out like the picture).

I found a couple that i wanted to try and after a tweak or two trying to convert from the 1/2 cup measurements i was quite surprised with the results :)

The first i tried was the 'Nutella Lava Brownie' from Kirbie's Cravings.

You'll need ...
  • 1 Egg
  • 2 tbs Sugar
  • 1 tbs Self raising flour
  • 1 tbs Nutella
  • 1 tbs Butter
  • 2 tbs Chocolate Chips
In a microwave safe mug, add the butter and the chocolate chips. Put in the Microwave for 30 seconds to melt the butter. Remove and mix with a fork till the chocolate chips have melted.

Next add the egg, sugar and flour and mix well. It will resemble cake mix at this point.

Once everything is combined, add the nutella aiming for the middle of the mug. You don't need to mix it as the cake will bake round it.

Cook in the microwave for 1 minute (my microwave is really old so it took me a minute and a half. I would give it 30 second blasts if your unsure about your microwave strength)


In my honest opinion, I found it more like a cake than a brownie but never the less it was delicious! I didn't think i would enjoy it but i did. Its quite sweet and when you first taste it beware that the Nutella is WARM!



Since i had such success with the Nutella, i decided to try a 'Chocolate Chip Cookie' one i found over on Number 2 pencil.

You'll need ...
  • 1 Egg Yolk
  • 1 tbs Butter
  • 1 tbs Granulated Sugar
  • 1 tbs Dark Brown Sugar
  • 3 drops of Vanilla Extract
  • pinch of salt
  • 3 tbs Plain Flour
  • 2 tbs Chocolate Chips
Again in a microwave safe mug, you need to melt the butter. A 30 second blast is enough.

Add the sugars, vanilla extract and pinch of salt to the cup and mix well. Mix in the egg yolk making sure everything is combined.

Next add the flour half a tablespoon at a time. Mix after every time you add flour as your looking for a dough consistency. I used just under 3 tbs but you might need the full 3.

Add in the chocolate chips and cook i the microwave for 30 second blasts. The original recipe advised not to go past 1 minute but again my microwave is really old so it took me 1 minute 30 to get it cooked.


This one I'm still not convinced on. I don't know if it was because i had the really sweet Nutella one first, but the cookie wasn't very sweet. I personally am going to add extra sugar to the next batch i make but i thought i would share the recipe as it was created so you can see for yourself.

Have you found any mug recipes that you liked? :)